I was reluctant to tell Cingular support that I was using a Mac. I think we have all been in that boat before. As soon as you tell someone you are using a Mac, they promptly inform you that they have no support for the Mac and you are out of luck.
In my case, since Cingular simply assumed that I was using Windows, I opted not to correct them… At least until I was specifically asked. Interestingly enough, the charade went on for almost 90 minutes before someone decided to confirm that I was using XP. By that point I was speaking with my 3rd tech at Cingular!
To my surprise, upon admitting that I was using OS X 10.4 (I promptly specified my OS as soon as I was asked- there was no point in playing games), the tech told me that they had not official support for the Mac, but he would give it a shot anyway. Way to go Cingular! It doesn’t make up for the way they are jerking me around on some other issues I am having with my account, but it does help.
I went over all of the settings again with the tech. He found some info buried in his documentation that indicated that I needed to go off site and download some modem scripts from as site in the UK. He gave me the URL and, after confirming the site, I was happy to tell him that I had already installed the scripts after reading about them in a forum somewhere. That saved us a step, and we both knew we were on the same page (literally).
We went on and on with no luck. Apparently there were a number of different settings that can be used when configuring for online access. Several of the settings we tried were mentioned in the forums I had already read. In the end, it turned out that the sales person at Cingular who sold me that data package for my phone had made a mistake. I had been issued the wrong data package.
This proved that all of the options available to Cingular subscribers are just as confusing to Cingular staff as they are to us. There are multiple data packages, and the tech I spoke with took a few extra minutes to read up on them before confirming that I has been issued the wrong one.
Once I had to correct options added to my account, I was finally online! It worked! Many thanks to the nameless tech who spent so much time with me. I told him that I would write up a step by step instruction sheet for others and post it on Maclive. Unfortunately, when he gave me his online contact info, I must have misunderstood. He had wanted to add the link to the Cingular tech archive for future users. My only hope is that this somehow finds its way back to him.
That being said, here is the step by step procedure needed to get a Mac online using OS X 10.4, Cingular, and a Motorola Razr. Though most of the info is available in forums out there right now, I do specifically detail the data account needed to get the service working. That was the problem for me, and it will likely happen to other Mac users.